Tangle

Tangle: to bring together into a mass of confusedly interlaced or intertwisted threads, strands, or other like parts

August 21, 2013

Just $5 to make this meal that feeds us for 2 Days

Today I thought I would share one of my families favorite (and cheapest) belly-filling meals. It is a simple recipe. It only uses four ingredients plus whatever seasonings you want to add. Usually there's enough to feed my family of four until we're ready to pop, with enough leftovers for the next night. My grandmother used to make it when I was little and called it Italian Spaghetti. Now that I'm grown I know that there are recipes for American Goulash that are very similar to what we make. But, I continue to call it Italian Spaghetti. So here is the recipe if you'd like to try it out. Different seasonings result in different flavors, of course. The recipe is very versatile as you will see in the ingredients. I use what I have on hand in the quantities I have in hand.


Amanda's Italian Spaghetti 

Ingredients:


  1. Ground beef approx 1 lb ( I tend to buy the five pound chubs at my local grocery store and then separate them into six or seven packages so it differs each time I make this) approx $3
  2. Part of an onion ( I use whatever I have leftover in my fridge, usually somewhere between a quarter and a half of a small to medium yellow or white onion) approx $0.20
  3. A can of diced tomatoes around $0.80
  4. A box of pasta approx $1.00

Total approximate $5.00 depending on what brands you use and sales prices

Prep time depends on how long it takes you to chop the onion! Sometimes the tears slow me down. 

Cook time around twenty minutes. 
  1. Brown and crumble ground beef with the onion and your seasonings. I prefer some oregano and basil (or Italian seasoning if I have it), salt, pepper, and garlic powder
  2. While beef is cooking, prepare pasta according to packaging in a separate pan, drain
  3. Add pasta and diced tomatoes to ground beef/onion and simmer for ten minutes  
  4. Enjoy 

I was going to take pictures of the steps, but my son cooked tonight and had it done before I realized he had really started it! Bonus points for him for cooking dinner for all of us, negative points for me for not taking the pictures. My son even filled bowls and brought them to us! Here is a picture of the dish after it was cooked and mostly eaten.

yummy


This is how much was left after the four of us had eaten PLUS my husband and son both got a second bowl full!
So there's only about two bowl fulls left probably. But that is fine. It still made about eight bowls full. And when I say bowls full, I mean full to the top!




5 comments:

  1. That looks good. We will try it.
    will comment back - http://www.oldfashionmom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to hear your opinion of this and what (if any) adjustments you make!

      Delete
  2. I have to try this..

    It looks simple to make
    doesn't require to many ingredients
    doesn't look like it takes long to make
    and it looks so good...

    Plus I am pregnant and now I want some will let you know how it turns out.. lol...

    Thank You for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting. I look forward to hearing from you again on how you liked it.

      Delete
  3. We make something like this too - sometimes we use macaroni and cheese as the pasta and maybe throw in a can or corn

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. It is very important to me. Know that while I might not reply directly to your comment every time, I certainly read it and appreciate it.