Tangle

Tangle: to bring together into a mass of confusedly interlaced or intertwisted threads, strands, or other like parts

September 18, 2013

Inexpensive Ground Turkey and Rice recipe Yummy!



mechanically separated turkey
looks like some kind of paste



instant rice that lost it's seasoning packet
handful of peas and carrots


season to your preference
add broth, instant rice, peas and carrots



simmer until rice is done and broth absorbed
eat and enjoy!



So I had to come up with something to do with the ground turkey. I wanted to use it, because we have decided that we really like this brand of mechanically separated turkey :) I am not sure what that means exactly, other than it looks almost like a paste when it comes out of the package. I am not sure how it ends up looking like ground meat after the cooking process, but it does. 

So here is what I used in this recipe:

  • 1 lb 'ground' turkey
  • 6 oz package of instant rice mix that had lost it's seasoning packet
  • 1 can of chicken broth (not pictured)
  • a handful of frozen peas and carrots
  • seasonings: salt, pepper, garlic powder, minced onion 


cook time was around 15 - 20 minutes

  • brown ground turkey with seasoning until done, drain if needed
  • add 1 can chicken broth, 6 oz instant rice, and a handful of frozen peas and carrots
  • bring to boil
  • let simmer until rice it done and broth is absorbed
  • eat and enjoy


It's that simple! My family absolutely loved this meal! It is very flavorful. Also, it filled the four of us up! That is very important when cooking on a tight budget. I try to make cheap meals that are also very filling. 

 If I had to guess, I would say that this meal could be made for less than $5 depending on the brands you buy and the amounts you use. It cost me around $1.15 to feed my family of four because the rice and the turkey were free to me and I only used a maybe a fourth of the package of peas and carrots. The can of broth runs me around .89 normally and the peas and carrots maybe a dollar a bag. I never count the cost of seasonings. I have a cabinet full and most of them were dollar store brands and last me a long time, so they don't really add up to anything per recipe. 

I hope you try out this recipe, and enjoy it. I will be making this again soon because, as I said earlier, my family loved it. 

Until next time my tangled tanglers.....       Happy Cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It is very important to me. Know that while I might not reply directly to your comment every time, I certainly read it and appreciate it.