Tangle

Tangle: to bring together into a mass of confusedly interlaced or intertwisted threads, strands, or other like parts

October 10, 2013

Marriage: Is it overrated or is it important?

This topic seems to keep coming up everywhere I turn these days. I see it on facebook, on television, on other blogs, and I decided I would address the topic also. The opinions in this post are all mine. I am not saying anyone else's opinions are wrong or not valid. I would like to hear other people opinions and arguments for and against marriage. I am embedding a poll. This is a compensated activity. I am getting compensated a small amount for trying out the poll but not for this post. I just wanted to make sure everyone knew that before I went ahead with my thoughts.

So my thoughts on marriage. I have changed my thoughts several times on this subject. I got married young. It was a horrible experience that I won't go into detail about. Suffice it to say, I swore I would never marry again. That it wasn't worth it. I went a little wild, had several relationships that went nowhere. A lot of you know how it goes. Either you've been there, or you've seen it with a friend. 

Then I met my true love. Yes, I just said that. True Love. I completely believe in it. I have no doubt in my mind that he is who I was meant to be with. Still, I hesitated on the marriage topic. I didn't want to think about it. I was scared of it. I thought that maybe we should just be together forever without the legal bindings. 

We got married last year. I just felt that we would be more connected if we were married. I am still unsure why I feel that way. We had a wonderful, caring, monogamous relationship and getting married didn't chance that. Still, I feel closer to him. 

Also there are the legal bonuses of being married. If something happens to him and he ends up in the hospital or something, then as his wife I have some say in how things go, or at the least I have the right to know how he is. As 'just a girlfriend', I didn't even have the legal right to know how he was or anything when he ended up in the hospital a while back. It was so frustrating. I had been with him for almost six years at the time and here they were not letting me see him or anything. 

That was probably the biggest push towards marriage that happened during the whole time we were together. It got me to look at what was keeping me from really wanting to marry again. I learned it was just a mixture of fear and habit. I had gotten set in my attitude against marriage for no other reason than I had had a bad experience and nothing had occurred to change it before then.

My marriage was one of the happiest occasions of my life. Was I terrified that it would change things? Yes! Did it? Yes, but only in a good way. My family is more secure legally, closer emotionally, and more happier than ever. It was the right step for us. 

So what do I think? Is marriage overrated? I do think some people set too high of expectations for marriage. I think that some people think that marriage is the only answer. That it is the one thing that will keep them safe, secure, and happy. That is wrong. We make our own happiness. We help others create happiness. Marriage is just the foundation for a great relationship that needs constant work, but is totally worth it in the end. Marriage is the the foundation; love and laughter, caring and friendship, is all the rest of it. 

So what do you think? Is marriage overrated? Do you think marriage is important at all in this day and age? Take the poll, answer in the comments, or go to my facebook page and leave a comment. I would love to hear what you have to say. 

Is marriage overrated poll:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. It is very important to me. Know that while I might not reply directly to your comment every time, I certainly read it and appreciate it.