Tangle

Tangle: to bring together into a mass of confusedly interlaced or intertwisted threads, strands, or other like parts

September 12, 2013

Slow Cooker Pot Roast Recipe






One thing I like to make at least once a month for my family is my Slow Cooker Pot Roast. I occasionally change up the seasonings for something different, but for the most part I stick with the recipe that I have been making for years. I thought that I might share it with you all today. I know that most of you probably have your own way of making pot roast, and there are lots of recipes out there on the web. But I thought I would share mine anyway. My family enjoys it quite a bit, and so do I.

Here is my base ingredient list :


  • potatoes, around five or six, depending on size
  • carrots, I usually use a handful of mini carrots
  • onions, one large or two smaller onions
  • meat of course, around 1 1/4 lbs of pork or beef roast (sometimes more if I found it really cheap)
  • a packet of brown gravy mix
  • water
  • seasonings: usually salt, pepper, garlic powder, minced onion (just because it tastes different than fresh) 


Preparation time: however long it takes you to cut up everything. It takes me about ten minutes unless I am crying a lot from the onion, then it takes me longer

Cooking time: depends on how long you have. I cook mine on low for about six to eight hours in my slow cooker. If you cook it on high then it will take about half that. Just check occasionally to see if the potatoes are done.

To make this dish:

  • Wash mini carrots and then place them in the bottom of the crock pot.
  • Cut your potatoes into whatever size chunks you prefer. I halve my potatoes then cut each half into thirds. I leave the peel on my potatoes, but it isn't necessary. Just a personal preference. 
  • I cut my meat before I put it in the crock pot. It seems to get done quicker and start falling apart by the time the rest is done this way. When I cook a roast whole, it never seems as tender. 
  • Cut onion into wedges and place into the crock pot 
  • Add seasonings
  • In a small bowl mix about a cup and a half of water with gravy mix
  • Pour over meat and veggies
  • Cook for 6 to 8 hours on low or 3 to 5 hours on high (this mostly depends on the size and power of your crock pot. times can vary quite a bit)
  • Serve, eat, and enjoy!
In the picture there is no onion because I didn't have any fresh onion the day I made my pot roast this month. Usually I will have fresh onion in there. This month I used pork instead of beef because it was on sale. Also, on some months I will add a about a stalk of celery to my pot roast. Sometimes I add a little ginger or ground cloves to the seasonings. It is a very versatile dish to make. No matter what seasonings I add, the family seems to love it. 

This meal costs around $6 to make. This is an approximation. I figure potatoes $1, carrots .50, onion $1, gravy mix .33, meat $3. It might cost a little more depending on quantities and sales prices. 


 

1 comment:

  1. I can never get my roast tender in the crock pot. I KNOW that sounds ridiculous but it's true. http://alwaysblabbing.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment. It is very important to me. Know that while I might not reply directly to your comment every time, I certainly read it and appreciate it.